Kiwi Energy has helped sponsor this event for the past 6 years in a row. The Epic Ride NYC is a Brooklyn Greenway event. featuring a great ride through 40 beautiful miles of treasured parks, one-of-a-kind neighborhoods, and once-in-a-lifetime waterfront views.
Here’s everything you need to know about The Brooklyn Greenway Initiative, The Epic Ride, and The Epic After Party of 2018!
The Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway
The Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway is a planned, yearly pedestrian and bicycle route that connects communities along Brooklyn, New York’s waterfront. Walkers and cyclists can commute, exercise, explore, and relax from Newtown Creek all the way to the beginning of the Shore Parkway Greenway in Bay Ridge.
The unique set of green spaces along The Brooklyn Greenway include:
- Manhattan St. End Park
- Bushwick Inlet Park
- Brooklyn Navy Yard and Naval Hospital Cemetery
- Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Columbia Waterfront Park
- Columbia Street Esplanade
- Bush Terminal Piers Park
- Owl’s Head Park
The Brooklyn Greenway was built for several reasons:
- It increases the number of efficient commuting options that connect neighborhoods to the rest of the city.
- It improves public health by providing easily accessible active recreational opportunities.
- It cleans the air and improves quality of life with more inviting streetscapes and more trees and vegetation.
- It improves water quality by using absorbent landscapes to treat stormwater and reduce releases of raw sewage through the sewer system.
The Brooklyn Greenway Initiative is committed to the development, establishment, and long-term stewardship of the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway, the Brooklyn Greenway Initiative is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded in 2004.
BGI works with a variety of committed community, nonprofit, business, and governmental partners. These partnerships have helped to create and fulfill a comprehensive vision for the Brooklyn Greenway. This vision includes building awareness and support among the 500,000+ residents who live along the 14-mile Brooklyn Greenway route from Greenpoint to Bay Ridge.
Today, the Brooklyn Greenway Initiative consists of 23 NYC DOT capital projects, including:
- 6 miles that are now available for public use
- 4 additional segments that are currently in the design and engineering phases
- Actively seeking funding for moving more segments toward implementation
- The long-term stewardship and maintenance of the 14-mile route and numerous adjacent green spaces that are currently being developed
BGI hosts numerous volunteer opportunities, public programs, and fundraising events to support the above efforts. Just a few examples are the Brooklyn Greenway Half Marathon and 5K, Yoga in the Grove, Summer, and Fall benefit parties, and The Epic Ride NYC.
The Epic Ride NYC
As one of the premier Brooklyn Greenway events of the year, participating in The Epic Ride has been a wonderful way to support the Brooklyn Greenway Initiative. We rode 25-40 miles from Greenpoint to Riis Park Beach along Brooklyn’s waterfront. During the ride, participants discovered hidden and interesting neighborhoods, enjoyed beautiful parks (city, state, and national), and took in spectacular bridge and city views.
All along the way, riders had the support of experienced marshals and mechanics. Restrooms and free refreshments were available at frequent, scenic rest stops. At the finish line, a complimentary bike valet was also available for participants. The only things you needed to bring were your bike (rentals and delivery were available), a few essentials, and your fun-loving attitude.
After The Epic Ride, participants celebrated at The Epic After Party at the Riis Beach Bazaar. The party featured bands, food, free drinks, and dips into the sea.
Kiwi Energy: One of the Proud Sponsors of The Epic Ride
Kiwi Energy is an energy retailer that is dedicated to providing innovative solutions for traditional electricity and natural gas. With a focus on the environment, Kiwi Energy supports individuals, organizations, and groups who run environmentally friendly projects through the Ecogold Environmental Fund.
“The Brooklyn Greenway Initiative demonstrates what community-driven change and sustainability can do, and is a crucial part of Brooklyn’s green infrastructure. We’re honored to be working alongside such a valuable organization” –Richard Booth, President of Retail Operations, Kiwi Energy
Residential customers of Kiwi Energy have the choice of three membership plans:
- Kiwi Clean + Wind REC: A variable rate electricity plan that is matched 100% with Green-e Energy Certified Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) sourced from national wind.
- Zero Gas: A variable rate natural gas plan that is matched 100% with Green-e Climate Certified carbon offsets.
- Ecogold: A loyalty plan that lets you choose to receive either 7% Ecogold Rewards or 5% Cash Back on your Kiwi Energy supply costs.
To get started with a more environmentally-focused energy plan, fill out your enrollment form!