At Kiwi Energy, we seek to inspire our customers to live more healthfully, naturally, and sustainably. With the new year right around the corner, many of us are thinking about our New Year’s resolutions and we wanted to encourage you to consider making one that will benefit the environment.
Below we’ve listed some great sustainable New Year’s resolutions for you to choose from that are not only easy for you to stick to, but that will also help you protect your wallet and the environment.
- Instead of burning through rolls of paper towels and napkins, opt for cloth rags and napkins
- Shop for your groceries realistically by planning your meals in advance and sticking to your list to avoid purchasing items that you don’t need
- Whether you’re cooking at home or eating out, save and actually eat, leftovers
- Think before you buy and consider shopping second-hand
- Repair items that you were considering replacing
- Donate old clothing or household items rather than simply disposing of them
Avoid Single-Use Plastic
- Ditch plastic water bottles by using a reusable one
- Bring your own thermos to coffee shops
- Say no to plastic straws
- Bring your own shopping bag
- Purchase items that come in minimal to no packaging
- Pack your lunch in reusable glass containers with real utensils to eat it with
- Choose children’s/pet toys made from natural materials instead of plastic
Start composting food scraps and yard waste
- You can have an outdoor compost pile or you can compost materials indoors using a special type of bin
- This not only enriches the soil and reduces the need for chemical fertilizers, but it also reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint
- Visit http://www.findacomposter.com to find a compost drop off location near you
Be more energy-efficient
- Replace standard light bulbs with LED ones
- Use power strips to avoid energy vampires that drain and power just by being plugged such as coffee pots, cell phone chargers, microwaves, computers, etc.
- Consider upgrading your thermostat to a programmable one that allows you to preset temperatures throughout various times of the day according to when you are or are not at home
- Consider upgrading old or outdated appliances to Energy Star appliances
- Weatherize your home and seal any air leaks to help reduce your heating and cooling expenses
- Wash your clothes in cold water and skip the hang dryer by allowing them to air dry instead
- Use natural light when possible (not only for lighting purposes but for heating and cooling purposes as well)
- Clean or replace all filters in your home regularly
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible during the summer and as low as possible during the winter
- Turn off lights when they’re not in use
- Only run your dishwasher when it is full, and as when washing your clothes, skip the dry cycle
Opt for a greener commute than driving alone
- Bike, jog, or walk to work if you live a reasonable distance from your office – not only is this a zero-emissions commute option, but it is also beneficial to your health
- Carpool with friends or co-workers
- Use public transportation
- Telecommute by asking your employer to work from home and teleconference to avoid traveling to meetings – you’ll save a lot of time, money, and carbon emissions
Each one of these sustainable New Year’s resolutions will have an impact in different ways, all of which essentially help the planet. If you’re feeling extra ambitious this year, try multiple of these! Remember that each eco-friendly step is a step in the right direction – so perhaps start with one, and once you’ve successfully integrated it into your-day-to-day, commit to another sustainable initiative.
If you want to ensure that your 2019 is your most sustainable year yet, be sure to sign up for Kiwi Energy’s eco-conscious energy and natural gas products. Not only do we offset your electricity and gas usage, but for every customer that enrolls, we make a contribution to the Ecogold Environmental Fund, which helps support non-profits running environmental projects.