Yard sales and garage sales are a classic American tradition and for good reason! Whether you’re moving, or simply trying to de-clutter and simplify your home – hosting a garage or yard sale is a fun and eco-friendly way to get rid of your unwanted belongings.
Garage/yard sales perfectly embody the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle motto and offer many environmental and personal benefits including:
- It’s a great way to spend time enjoying being outside
- By reselling your outdated articles rather than tossing them in the garbage, you’re helping save valuable landfill space and therefore helping protect the environment
- It provides you the opportunity to connect with your neighbors and bring your community together
- It’s a good vehicle for educating your children about mindful consumption and sustainable living
- You’ll essentially get cash for your trash – does it get any better than that?
So, what’s the key to hosting a successful yard sale? Just check out these great tips for a successful yard sale below:
- Along with looking for a bargain, yard sale shoppers are also looking for a fun experience. So, it’s important to make it a good time for them! Pull out a table and lay out snacks, turn on your favorite Spotify station, and create a little entertainment area with games and coloring books for kids.
- Create an organized presentation. Group similar items together and properly display/sort them. Hang clothing up by size and gender. Also, ensure there is enough walking space in between sections. To get people’s attention, you can also place larger items (like furniture) by the curb
- Yard sale pricing tips include pricing items accordingly – the trick is not to overprice too much. Take the time to create price tags for each item rather than bunching them together in a box. You can create your own price tags from paper scraps to maintain your sustainable and eco-conscious theme
- Promote your yard sale online to avoid creating unnecessary paper waste. You can also create signage to put up in your yard and around your neighborhood using old cardboard boxes
Now that you’re ready to get rid of clutter and simplify your lifestyle with a minimal environmental impact using these yard sale tips, what other green traditions can you and your family adopt?
- Start a compost bin to keep food and yard scraps from landfills where they take up space and release greenhouse gases
- Air dry clothes and dishes. Take shorter showers. Cook outside. Reduce your energy and water use altogether
- Install a programmable thermostat to help regulate your home’s temperature according to the settings you create in advance
- Go paperless with online statements
- Stop buying paper towels! Opt for reusable microfiber towels to use for cleaning purposes instead, or even better, you can cut up old shirts and use them as cloths!
Sustainability is at the core of all that we do at Kiwi Energy – including our product offerings, our employees, our stakeholders, and our community. Not only do we offer environmentally conscious energy solutions to power your home, we also reward you for making the right choices for our planet through the Ecogold Loyalty program.
Additionally, we maintain regular communications with our customers through social media and e-newsletters, sharing content that’s useful and educational to our customers. Our topics include seasonal fluctuations and weather alerts, industry news, and energy saving/green living tips (like how to host a successful garage sale for example). Through our communication and engagement, we continuously work to improve our customers’ quality of life by offering them tools and information that they can leverage to become more energy efficient and sustainable at home.
Stay tuned on our blog and follow us on Social Media to stay up to date on all that is Kiwi Energy and Sustainability!